The following information is in regards to a SharePoint integration. It will discuss the operating system, the product functions, operating environment and will share the functional and the non-functional requirements in regards to “operations, performance, security, culture, and organizational politics.” (Dennis et al., 2015)
SharePoint will reside on a server utilizing Microsoft Windows Server 2008. The application must exist in multiple environments such as an intranet portal, extranet portal and is web-based. This application will allow users, those not connected via LAN, but will be able to access the data and act on the actionable items via the web-application.
To review SharePoint and its functionality, “it is a collaboration platform for customized Web services” (Rouse, 2013). It offers enhanced business intelligence as far as “big data reports as it works seamlessly with PowerPivot, an excel application” (Hassell, 2013, Para 7).
This application allows for user increased productivity by 10 percent. Because the system is web-based it makes it very easy for users to access.
The hardware interfaces will be the Microsoft Server and SQL Server as it will be serving as the data mart.
There are many requirements that must be utilized with the SharePoint integration and the following will discuss the “function and the non-functional requirements” of the system:
- The ability to print “on-screen” data
- All data entry fields must contain validation of user entry
- All mandatory fields will be displayed with an * (asterisks) notation
- The system or application must be available 95% of the time to Users annually.
- Any webpages loading at 10 seconds or greater shall require the notification to the User via popup dialog about the delay.
- The application shall log details of the exception on the server
- The application will distinguish between an error and an exception condition
- All Users must have passwords containing a minimum of 8 alphanumeric letters containing at least 1 special character with a maximum value of 15 characters
- Application will need to mask the password entry so as not to display passwords in clear text
- After 3 failed login attempts the application will lock the Users account for a period of 10 minutes, this is referred to hereafter as a cycle
- The system will provide a traceability matrix at the end of the following phases: Analysis, Design, B uild, and deployment.
The system being integrated with SQL caused the architecture to lean toward the client-server. The functionalities were crucial because it is application on the client side and the data is stored on the server side that route was best suited for SharePoint. However, “one of the biggest challenges you'll face in your efforts to optimize SharePoint performance will be navigating through the many configuration options that the underlying IIS, .NET, and SQL Server technologies provide during the planning and design stages, as well as in hands-on operation” (Cherny, 2009. Para. 2).
Overall, “…if you lack this understanding, you can still do well at optimizing your SharePoint infrastructure by following established best practices, recommendations, and knowledge, and addressing the common issues pointed out here” (Cherny, 2009, Para 26).